Today starts my IVF journey to become a mommy. I had my very first cycle day 3 blood work and ultrasound this Sunday morning at 8:15. I didn't even know Drs. worked on Sundays! In the infertility world, ultrasounds are either "tooty" or "nontooty." Okay, that's just my description, the Dr. really doesn't schedule me for a tooty ultrasound. Tooties are the ones where they put the ultrasound wand in your...uhh....hoo ha, versus the traditional ones on your belly. Now that we've cleared that up, please excuse my blatant disregard for propriety throughout my blogging journey. If I have to forfeit my modesty, then you have to read about it.
According to Dr. Koulianos (otherwise known as Dr. K, the Reproductive Endocrinologist) my uterus and ovaries are better than average, but have a few extra follicles. I've always considered myself an overachiever, so I was pretty proud of that. He then explained that extra follicles could be a bad thing and that may be why I haven't gotten pregnant yet. Hmmph! So much for excellence! I've always only had female Ob/Gyns, so I was kinda embarrassed this morning when Dr. K (a DUDE) was poking around down there, but my excitement over the whole process prevailed and I was glad to have the expert in my nether regions. I guess Joe is *truly* the expert, but you know what I mean. ;-)
Here's what will happen over the next 9 weeks:
- Birth control for one month to "quiet my system and make it do what Dr. K wants it to do."
- Lots of injections (i.e. shots) with medication that stimulates my ovaries to work in overdrive and produce bunches and bunches of eggs. The more the better!
- Retrieval of those eggs in an outpatient surgery procedure under anesthesia. (Drugs are cool....mmmkay)
- Fertilize the eggs with Joe's swimmers in a petri dish
- Transfer of no more than two of the now embryos back into the uterus (through the tooty)
- Wait for two weeks to find out if it worked!
- Rinse and repeat (hopefully not necessary!!)
Love,
Lindsey
I can't wait to follow you through this journey! And your writing is so great, it will be fun to read each day!
ReplyDeleteI'm praying for you guys and I love you!
ReplyDelete